The original church on its present site, was consecrated by Walter de Canteloupe, the Bishop of Worcester, on 1st June 1242. Since that date there have been many changes to both the exterior and interior of the building.
The form of the present church dates from about 1470 when the monks of Tewkesbury rebuilt it, raising the clerestory windows, lengthening the chancel and building the western tower. A gallery at the west end of the church was erected some time before 1818 when an organ was included on the gallery.
In 1870 and again in 1902-3 much restoration was carried out, specifically the renovation of the Tower inside and out, the porch was restored, oak choir stalls installed, panelling constructed, the chancel floor repaved and gallery removed. The organ was moved to its present position at about the same time.
In 1950 the former Chapel of St Clement at the east end of the North aisle was restored by Major John Pope in memory of his parents.
In more modern times many projects have been undertaken, including repairs to all three main roofs, new heating, refurbishment and rehanging of the bells, a complete reordering of the west end of the church including storage cupboards, a hospitality area and two new toilets in the tower space. The reredos has been lowered, the East window refurbished. The latest project, completed in January 2016, has been the installation of 14 photovoltaic solar panels on the south side of the main roof.